Friday, January 22, 2016

Sizing up

We move in one week (I had a minor heart attack when I realized this - we've known for months so how could it sneak up like this?) and I'm not at all prepared right now. We'll get there.

I am dreading the entire moving process, and already shedding a few tears at the thought of leaving our good friends/landlords/neighbors, but I am also so! damn! excited! at the thought of being reunited with some of my kitchen things.

I half-heartedly did the whole Marie Kondo bit last year but didn't fully buy into it. But then we moved into our little cottage and had no choice but to suddenly simplify. Paring down for several months was a great exercise. We tried our best to guess what we would use and what we wouldn't as we packed, and anything that didn't fit was either donated or put into storage. I think we did a pretty good job. We took advantage of every little nook in our mini kitchen, and it was completely functional. We could probably continue to live with just what we have right now and it would be fine.

But.

I've been dreaming of those storage boxes as our move approaches. Our wedding china, our wine glasses, our serving platters, my ridiculous collection of cake stands, full size baking sheets, our DINING ROOM TABLE! I'm embarrassed to admit that my heart jumps a little each time I think of them. Apparently all these things spark joy, because I can't wait to see them each day, to pull them out and use them.

Ten months of living in a small space taught me that I am not a minimalist about some things and that's okay with me. I can happily live with one set of sheets and just half a closet of clothes, but I feel deprived if I don't have five different tablecloth options. Pick your poison, I guess. I liked not having too much clutter around in our little place, though. As I start packing up I'm going to be extra conscious of what we used and what we didn't. If there's anything we haven't used since we moved in, it's not coming with us.

In the meantime, I'll be right here, just trolling through my own photos and staring at my stuff like a creepy stalker.

the table, set

plates, waiting

cake stands!

Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this so much lately! In paring down my clothes and other possessions, I've discovered that as much as I like the idea, I am NOT a minimalist. Empty, bare-feeling spaces don't spark joy. I also get emotionally attached to things very easily (sentimental value!).

    And yet...being super careful and using the "spark joy" question when I shop or set up things in my home has been the perfect way to slow the accumulation. I love that. I guess it does end up being about what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigosh I so relate to this! We've been traveling for 5 years now, living in furnished rentals, all our things in storage. One of the things I'm most looking forward to once we settle down is seeing all my things again! There will definitely be things that don't come with us, but oh to use things that belong to me and that I love again! What a lovely thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, do you have any tablecloth recommendations for our family? We're in a different life stage with two boys who leave lots of stains and spills behind...but I can't bring myself to go out and look for new ones. They either seem too polyester-y or like we would ruin them in a week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had the best luck at Ikea! I don't buy their tablecloths, but their fabric is sturdy and extra wide, so it makes great tablecloths! You usually just have to hem the two short ends. A couple of my other favorite tablecloths are thrift store finds. I think the only fancy tablecloths I have are our nice white ones that we use for holidays. They're a good white cotton and we got them at Crate and Barrel when we got married. I love them and they clean up well, but I wouldn't want a white tablecloth for day to day use so they only come out for special dinners.

      Delete
  4. I love this! Trolling through your own photos like a creepy stalker - thank you for cracking me up today! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Trying captchas this time - better or worse than having to log in to comment? Let me know! Sorry for all the hoops but the spam has been terrible lately!